Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama's speech made me miss Clinton



I actually own the book, The inaugural addresses of the Presidents. And, I must say that Obama's speech today was the worst inaugural address of them all.

Let us compare the closing line in Obama's speech to the closing line of Thomas Jefferson's second address:

TJ: I shall need, therefore, all the indulgence which I have heretofore experienced from my constituents; the want of it will certainly not lessen with increasing years. I shall need, too, the favor of that Being in whose hands we are, who led our fathers, as Israel of old, from their native land and planted them in a country flowing with all the necessaries and comforts of life; who has covered our infancy with His providence and our riper years with His wisdom and power, and to whose goodness I ask you to join in supplications with me that He will enlighten the minds of your servants, guide their councils, and prosper their measures that whatsoever they do shall result in your good, and shall secure to you the peace, friendship, and approbation of all nations.

vs.

BA: America. In the face of our common dangers, in this winter of our hardship, let us remember these timeless words. With hope and virtue, let us brave once more the icy currents, and endure what storms may come. Let it be said by our children's children that when we were tested we refused to let this journey end, that we did not turn back nor did we falter; and with eyes fixed on the horizon and God's grace upon us, we carried forth that great gift of freedom and delivered it safely to future generations.

Again, I must say that we shouldn't do anything for our children's children (children should not be having sex!) Also, there is no mention of a "journey" in any of the speech until the end. So what is he talking about when he says "this journey"? He is trying to sound so transcendent that he forgets what imagery he is working with. Go ahead, read the speech! He doesn't follow a theme nor does he really seem to convey a vision of our place in history. He acknowledges our troubles, but offers little by way of encouragement. What a downer! Unlike Jefferson, he offers no hope of happiness and prosperity. The most that we can hope for (ironic isn't it?) is that maybe we can "safely deliver freedom" to a future generation. Why? He doesn't even extol the virtues of freedom in his speech. He certainly doesn't think the Iraqi's need it! He left me feeling like I had the wind knocked out of me. Where is his faith in liberal policy? The world should be sunshine and lollipops by the time he's through with it!

At least when Bill Clinton was lying to me, I felt inspired. That is, until I rubbed my eyes and saw through it all. When Clinton would speak, he would stand there grinning like only a southerner could, and make us all feel warm inside. And I admit that it was entertaining to see someone so skillfully package BS.

So, therein lies my disappointment. I expected BS, but I wanted it packaged skillfully. At least it was fun to watch.

So, I am feeling a very confusing emotion: for the first time in my life, I miss Bill Clinton!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dave,
I agree! It was "LACKING".
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah
He will be the bigest turncoat, dance around subjects, avoider, yet.
Now, Clinton was the worst. (SO far, we shall see.) (Think of that little voice of Dana Carvey from SNL) Satan! But he did make us all REALLY think about what the definition if "IS" is. I still laugh about that.
KJ

Jill said...

I would much rather listen to lies by our politicians about their sexual indiscretions than listen to Obama talk about nothing in particular.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Obama should have declared war on a sovereign nation based upon lies of having WMD's. That would have made conservatives feel better about the Obama presidency.